On roads in Turkey generally used international road signs and signposts, although they’re still minor features.
So, instead of the mandatory stop sign STOP, the sign DUR used. The most common signs on the coast side – “Overtaking prohibited” and “End of the prohibition zone for overtaking”. It doesn’t look quite usual, but it’s clear that on a black and white resolving sign, two cars separated by a slash. In Bodrum and the surrounding area you can see signs “Dangerous turns”, they no different from ordinary ones. And the signs “Steep ascent” and “Steep descent” do not indicate the degree of inclination. The sign “Dangerous roadside” standard. The Rough Road sign warns of speed bumps, by the way they not small at all.
The information sign for the “Otoyol” highway always green. You will enter the highway by a blue sign with a white inscription. Signs of brown color with white inscriptions used to mark heritage places. In addition, all cities begin and end with blue signs and villages with white. At the entrance to the village there is a sign indicating the population – “Nüfüs”. At a distance from the traffic lights there is a warning sign “Traffic light regulation”, but often it a simply one-section yellow light blinking mode. Also traffic lights with yellow flashing arrows. If you do not interfere in the indicated direction, you can drive through.
The quality of roads in Turkey is very good, but unfortunately the excellent road surface does not save local drivers from the “rage”.
Sudden rearrangements without turn signals and unexpected stops quite common in Turkey. The use of radar detectors in Turkey prohibited by law.
To drive on toll roads, an OGS sensor or an HGS sticker required. Such road mainly in large cities, they not at the resorts.
Ambulances, firefighters, police and other enforcement agencies have the priority right on the road.
Children under 12 years old and shorter than 150 cm not allowed to travel in the front seats. They can travel only at the back seats.
Together with road signs, additional signposts with Turkish symbols can be used. Here is a translation of some of them:
- Askeri bölge – Military zone
- Buz — Ice
- Çıkış — Exit
- Dikkat — Attention
- Giriş — Enter
- Gümrük – Customs
- Hastane — Hospital
- Kar — Snow
- Karayolları — Road department
- Kapalı otopark – Closed parking
- Kaza raporu — Accident protocol
- Lastikçi — Tire service
- Liman – Port
- Mazot/Motorin — Diesel fuel
- Otogar — Station
- Otoyol — Highway
- Park Yeri — Parking place
- Park Etmek Yasaktır – Parking prohibited
- Şehir merkezi — City center
- Servis Yolu — Temporary road
- Sis — Fog
- Tagit Giremez — No entry
- Tehlike — Danger
- Tek yön — One way traffic
- Uzun araç — Long vehicle
- Üçretli geçiş – Toll road
- Yavaş — Slow
- Yaya geçidi — Pedestrian crossing
- Yol — Road
- Yol calışması – Road work
The amount of fines for violation of traffic rules violation in 2019 in Turkish lira (TRY):
- Excess speed between 10-30 km/h – 235 TRY;
- Excess speed 30-50 km/h – 488 TRY;
- Talking by phone while driving – 235 TRY;
- Drift on the road – 5 010 TRY;
- Driving to the red traffic light – 235 TRY;
- No pedestrian pass – 488 TRY;
- Unfastened seat belt – 108 TRY;
- Driving without a license – 2018 TRY;
- Park on disabled parking place- 216 TRY, and in the wrong place – 235 TRY;
- More than 0.5 ppm of alcohol – 1000 TRY.
If the rules have not been violated, then they can stop the car at the checkpoint for the following reasons:
- For routine document verification;
- During the special operation, a random check of cars;
- Testing for alcohol or drugs (usually at night and in areas with bars and clubs).
As a rule, traffic police officers – Trafik Polisi do this.
City – 50-70 km/h (depending on the city);
Outside the cities – 90-110 km/h;
Highways – 120 km/h.